Monday, April 2, 2012

Sustainabilty


Fernando completes his first Cocina

This week brought my first success with “sustainability”, an important Peace Corps theme for service. The concept is that while we PCVs can do a certain amount of physical construction and education, we are only here for two years. Our service is multiplied, however, when our service goes on after we leave. It’s the old “teach a man to fish vs feeding him a fish” paradigm. So, it made my heart sing when one of the abaniles (masons) that trained with me in constructing the improved cook-stoves built a Cocina Mejorada for a local woman with minimal input from me and materials NOT provided by Peace Corps. I was flattered that Fernando invited me along to watch. Actually, he needed my tools more than supervision. He did just fine and built faster and better than I do. I printed up a “Certificado de Habilidad” for Cocinas construction, which I presented when we fired up the new stove. The pot for this stove is a monster 26” diameter antique (at least 70 yrs old) with a riveted bottom. It takes 2 to lift. I cannot say how much this pleases me, to know that someone (and hopefully more soon) will be building these inexpensive and enormously needed stoves, after I’ve gone. Hopefully, if I do my job right, the same will happen with biodigesters, well pumps, eco-banos, water filters, HIV/STD training, etc. Even better, the lady (Modesta) makes some unbelievably decadent crème-filled cookies and invited me to stop by anytime. I just might.

One of the decisions and commitments I’ve taken is to promote Peace Corps and other service in US or abroad for volunteers of “a certain age”. So, here’s my first pitch : The plain truth is that I am living more comfortably and having way more fun than I imagined, while seeing real changes happen. Life and real-world experience makes a HUGE difference in ability to get things done. Lack of fear, more self-confidence, not having to worry about what I'll do after, getting the "automatic respect" of age and not wasting my time partying helps, too. Peace Corps does an amazing job of training (both language and technical), looking out for our health and security, which I hope will allay the fear of service abroad for some Boomers. Bottom line : If you want to learn (or improve) a foreign language (there are also some English speaking sites), learn some new skills, experience a new culture and do some real good in the World, have a willing heart and reasonably good health, the Peace Corps offers a well organized vehicle for all the above. Check out www.peacecorps.gov for more info and details.

It’s cotton pickin’ time in Canete. And they still do it Old School here – BY HAND. Anyone who’s ever come near a cotton field at harvest knows how bad the hard cotton bolls, with their razor sharp tips can tear up a good pair of pants. Imagine what it does to a pair of hands after 12 hours of pulling the cotton out and stuffing it into canvas bags. Even more amazing is that some of the very small farmers still hand card (to remove the seed) the cotton to avoid the ginning charge at Western Cotton, the big processor here. Where is Eli Whitney’s little mechanical gin when you need it ?

Gloria and Esther, the two nurses who trained with me at the PEPFAR workshop (HIV, STD & teen pregnancy) in Ica, are rarin’ to go. We had a meeting this week to lay out an ambitious program for students, teachers and the community. These ladies are willing to work really hard to change the sad situation here and I’ll do my best to match them, though I’ve tried to caution them that this is not my only project – and not exactly my specialty. They also roped me into doing a booth on Hand Washing and Tippy-Taps at the Health Fair in the Plaza next week.

More in my line of work was crafting up the solar water pump system for Juanito in Nuevo Vista Alegre. The “ito” part of his name (diminutive) is apt. I think he’s about 5’ even. But like Fernando, pure bulldog muscle. I lugged the panel, battery, pump and water lines out to the campo. (Have I mentioned “Bike Love” lately?). Juanito just dug a new well, so no cleaning and disinfection will be required. So, we set up temporary lines to test the system in a “wet” run. The “little pump that could” delivered the predicted flow up to the house, about 120 yards away with a head of about 25 feet. He still needs to build a holding tank, which I’m trying to get him to elevate a bit more. Battery voltage only dropped from 12.61 volts to 12.52 volts after 45 minutes, which bodes well, at least until winter overcast sets in.

Speaking of “Bike Love”, I’ll be presenting the attached “Bike 101” PowerPoint at a Regional PCV Meeting next week. I’m really starting to like this program – easy to use, with all manner of graphic possibilities – most of which I’ll try when I have some “spare” time. Sure beats the heck out of the Old School slide show and a lot easier to carry around than those carousel racks. Of course, you miss my accompanying witty repartee, but you’ll get the idea.

From the “I Love my Town” file: I was walking past a shop and the owner came running out with a “china” coin (1/2 sole – US$0.20). Seems her daughter had over-charged me for some cabbage the other day. This kind of honesty and integrity is particularly laudable, coming from folks who need the money a helluvalot more than I do.

A care package from Cousin Jan included Werther’s caramels, a family favorite. Peruvian "caramelos" are little more than pure sugar, with very little flavor. So, I thought I'd treat Fernando to one of the deliciously rich Werthers. He sort of flinched and said "No hay azúcar in Estados Unidos?" He will get no more.

Another wonderful care package from Bonnie Roberts in Daytona, my lovely (think Sarah Palin clone – including the accent) ex-Boss. The contents were quickly put to use securing ALL electrical connections in my house and producing a batch of Gringo Col Slaw – not the same as KFC ( my favorite) but still above average. Thanks, Bonnie.

And Thanks to ALL for your continued interest and kind words. The support and encouragement I get from you, other PCVs and the Lima staff, all add to my service and joy in this song of adventure. Thanks for singing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment