Friday, July 13, 2012

Biodigester # 2 Finds a Home




The Duenas brothers dug the ditch in one day
The whole family helps inflate the biodigester

The inflated bag goes in the ditch

A visit to the Goat Research Center in Santa Barbara brought a good result. The facility is also home to the local yogurt and cheese (feta) production. I’ve been buying their superb yogurt for some time now.
The place is extremely well run – clean and organized – built on the site of an old school, so a good teaching and demonstration site. The Duenas brothers, Gaston & Avelino & Godo are bright and innovative. Their goat milking stand is a fine example of creativity. The raised platform makes milking far more ergonomic and sanitary. I’m planning to build biodigester #2 there and may also do a Cocina and solar pumping demonstration there. Goat poop will require some extra soaking, but two large porkers can provide a good manure base.

And build a biodigester we did !!  In one week, we got the trench dug, ends built, tube inflated, in the trench and is filling with goat and pig poop soup as I write this. Certainly the fastest digester construction on record. I cannot express my total admiration, respect and gratitude to the Duenas brothers. They are the smartest, hardest-working, most innovative Peruvian family I’ve ever met. They’ve taught me tons about adobe construction, goat breeding and local history. The conversation ranges all over the map. While discussing DC vs AC power, I mentioned Thomas Edison – “Thomas ALVA Edison” interjected Godo. And to top it off, one of the farm workers is named Goyo !! First Gregorio I’ve met in Peru. There is a special bond here between “tocayos” and ours is no exception.

Oh, and while we were finishing the biodigester, we built an improved cookstove. The construction was hindered a bit by a frisky little pup named Odie and supervised by the adorable 2 yr-old Tonio.
This is my ninth Cocina and I’ve never had so much fun or felt so much joy from my co-workers. Running two crews took me back to my contractor days. Also pleased that this is the third Cocina built without Peace Corps funds and materials. This is the kind of sustainability that we all strive for.

Arriving home, I was pondering what to eat for dinner when a lady from down the street miraculously appeared at the door with a huge plate of smoked chicken, sweet corn and camote (yam). I fixed her door latch a couple of weeks ago. When I took the plate back, I was forced to consume some rare “tres leches” cake. This stuff literally melts in your mouth. I love being a part of a community that does for each other.

Revisited the Vista Alegre spring box to take measurements. On the way home, I passed several asparagus fields. I always think of my Gampa Bacon when I do. He had a beautiful patch in his big garden. For many years he sold it for extra income. I learned a lot from that wonderful and wise man, about gardening, concrete and life from him. We ate asper-grass every day at his house during the season. I still love it. The local fields have all gone to seed and are ready to cut the ferns and let the edible sprouts emerge. I found a few rogue shoots and had them in lunch salad.

Coming home from Canete, I sat next to some energetic high school lads. We chatted for a bit before they asked the inevitable question of where I was from. They all guessed Venezuela, which either means that Venezuelans speak really bad Spanish or mine is getting good. But interesting that my accent sounds non-American. Once I fessed up to Estados Unidos origin, the questions got non-stop. I’m always amazed at how much other people know about the US and how very curious they are about all things EEUU.

I was witness to the biggest funeral thus far in San Luis. Musta been 400 people. The procession went on FOREVER and blocked traffic in all directions. Two bands, both were predictably bad. Good news was that all the flower ladies sold out completely. Though I still wish folks would buy flowers for the living, who would surely appreciate them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment