Friday, May 17, 2013

Canadians, eh ??


Teaching "losa" making


"Papa" Joe from the Rainbow of Hope of Canada

Visiting a Home Depot style hardware store in Chincha

Ismael learning Goyo's tricks

Similar flags
I went to Chincha, about 1 hour south of here, to train a Canadian NGO in Cocina construction. These folks are doing lots of good in that area – building a school and replacing dirt roofs with concrete. They have also taken the “bottle bulb” idea and multiplied it. While there is nothing like actually building one for training, this visit gave me the idea to create a ¼ scale model, which can be used to give a 3D experience. The adobes and bricks are wooden blocks, so the structure can be re-created over and over. Progress is good.

On a sad note: someone cut a few of the fire hose supports on the swings at the Viviendas #2 playground. I was able to repair quickly, but am disappointed that this type of wretched vandalism has raised it head in my quiet little town. The good part about the #1 playground by the Muni is that it is highly visible and locked up at night. Spray paint graffiti also appeared on a nice wall below the big cell phone tower. It was quickly repainted.

I’m excited about my upcoming visit to the US for my 40th Princeton Reunion. I’m girded for some culture shock. And the pleasure of seeing many of my dear friends and classmates – some of the finest men on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment