Friday, August 10, 2012

Forward



Well, color me happy. After two weeks of design, approval, budget approval, ordering materials. And Waiting. My big metal sheet finally got delivered to the welding shop in San Luis. Those of you sitting in the States know that this could have all been done in about an hour, but here is another matter. Materials and transport and communication are all poor – all holds this country back from getting things done. It will become the center-piece for the new security cover for the Vista Alegre spring box. The welder did an excellent job of fabricating – charged all of $7 for some beautiful work. All materials moved to construction site. Sunday was the appointed construction time. Everyone showed up promptly and worked hard and well. My plan and design both worked well. I had everything and everything fit like the proverbial glove. The boys were especially delighted that I showed up with 3 liters of Inca-Kola. Personally, I can’t stand the stuff, but Peruvians LOVE it. My Pappy always told me – Keep yer Crew Happy.

Job completed in LESS time than I had anticipated. Nothing that could go wrong did. So, the boys and I retired to some more Inca and beer and picked on the carcass of a half lamb from a roast the night before. Fresh roasted lamb sandwiches with some chopped onion and mint sauce. Damn, I LOVE my “job”. They brought out some moonshine Pisco and I made a graceful exit. The bike ride home was via the “secret back road” through the agricultural fields. No one out working, so just me and nature. I love “working” in this agricultural area – crops all around in various stages of growth. The sun came out and I was feeling particularly blessed. I must have been really good to my Mom or something. Then, going through Laura Caller – there was my buddy Angel, who offered the Muni truck and driver to help me tomorrow. I just about cried at the support and cooperation and appreciation I get from these wonderful folks. Damn, I love this “job”.

I did come across a cool materials find – a 12VDC compact fluorescent bulb. Never even seen one in the US. The solar water pumps will have some extra battery power that can be used for lights or charging cell phones. These little bulbs will make that power go much further than using yucky old car incandescents. I’ll be glad when September rolls around and our cloud cover disappears.

The town has put together a detailed list of folks who need wheelchairs, which I will carry to Lima when I meet with the head of Wheelchair Foundation. Hopefully, we can put something together on short notice.

Two trips to Lima (aka Big Lime) this week. A good visit at Q-Energy, the folks who sell solar panels. Very nice, clean organized operation. Saw a neat new small modular system they sell which includes a USB charging port and 3 way LED bulb. After, I visited the PC Center, which always feels like “going home”. Our staff is welcoming and always helpful. Sadly learned that 2 more of my WATSAN crew are leaving service. It just doesn’t work out for some folks.

Second trip was to attend a cocktail party for the Wheelchair Foundation and the Class of ’77 Princetonians who have brought 500 chairs to Peru. I snagged 5 for my pueblo. The home was one of those Lima estates that brings to mind Beverly Hills. White jacketed servers plied the crowd with drinks and extraordinary Peruvian food. One of the Princeton Engineers Without Borders was there – I’ll be working with them later this month – building a new water system up north. I am so proud to be a part of an alumni body that gives back some of what they have been given in life.

From the Peruvian Transportation & Culture Dept – Soyuz is a really well run bus company. Their buses are always clean, with a very nice and reasonable on-board snack service, an alert and helpful staff and brass-balled drivers who rule the Road between Lima and Nazca. They show recent movies – (most certainly pirated – but that’s a whole ‘nuther matter). One recent feature was the Three Stooges. My brothers and I watched the Stooges on TV in our youth during Saturday AM cartoon shows. But I don’t ever remember laughing as hard at the cruel slap-stick as Peruvians do. Every time Moe slapped or swung a hammer on his hapless buddies, the entire bus burst into laughter. The classic chainsaw bit – where Moe ruins a chainsaw blade in Curly’s skull – brought the house down. I’ve noticed this penchant for violent slap-stick before, but the Stooges brought the phenomenon into crystal clear focus. I’ll leave it to some sociologist to explain the cultural reaction.

The next fruit after my beloved mandarin oranges have run their season……(drumroll)….Pineapples. Beautiful, small dark yellow fleshed, sweet as candy, drip form your mouth pineapples. It’s been a prolific parade of local fruits since I got here. I am so very grateful to live in Canete. Not just the food and perfect weather – the people and local pride. Yeah, color me happy.

And tired. Good Night, Sweet Princes and Princesses……

No comments:

Post a Comment