Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Peace Corps Way


I had to re-hang the door on this one. Non-galvanized hinges near the ocean?
The bolts on these access doors had rusted. No match for my drill.


These rock-solid composting toilets were well-constructed by CARE.


A new plastic toilet seat is a big deal to the users

I got two more of my 40 Eco-Banos rehabilitated today. They take only about US$ 8 (kindly provided by Gloria – the Bordens milk of Peru) and about 2 hours of my time to upgrade these bathrooms and educate the families. A small price for giving a rural family good sanitation. And, it highlights the difference between the way many development groups (NGOs) and the Peace Corps approach this work.

CARE, a British charity, originally built these units four years ago, in the beach area of my town that was particularly hard hit by the big earthquake in 2007. They did a superb job of construction, excepting a few small details. They brought in large crews and concrete mixers, built the units and promptly left. The result was that folks were not well trained in use of the composting toilets. Once the storage chambers had filled, rusted bolts prevented them opening the backs and they fell into dis-use. Out of the 89 built, only 7 were still in use when I arrived.

In comparison, Peace Corps Volunteers are blessed with the luxury of time; time to know the community, time to assess and remedy problems and time to explain the technology and train the users. Perhaps most importantly, we also have time to re-visit the families for follow-up. That is the Peace Corps Way.

The NGOs mean well – they really do. And they are, to be sure, generous and highly technically competent. But, that generosity and intent goes for naught, if it does not also include the personal attention and training that a PCV can give, as an “insider” in the community. It is a joy to get these excellent toilets back into service. In addition, some of the compost that we remove will be used in the upcoming tree planting project in my town.

I've pondered the "community integration" theme from time to time. It is a key element of the Peace Corps strategy, one which gives us credibility and sets us apart from NGOs. On the one hand, I do feel a part of my little town. I want the very best for it, I cheer their every success, I'm widely known and greeted by adults and children. I have made dear friends and mourned the loss of two. I get invited to all manner of parties and events (though I still avoid the dreaded "beer circle"), I've raised the Peruvian flag in the Plaza, been a judge at a pageant, applauded at town council meetings, gifted with fruit and meals. I've even been awarded an official Muni shirt as I'm considered "part of the team". I call San Luis "home", "mi pueblo" and "mi corazon". And I know I've helped make my town a better place.

And, much as I care, much as I enjoy, much as I love this place - I will always be, in truth, somewhat apart. I leave to go off to trainings and vacations and even travel overseas. I live a life that most of them will never know. And, all too soon, I will be gone. I'll leave behind some infrastructure and increased capacity, yes.  I will take away precious memories and friendships from my time here. But, I will be gone. My future is not their future.

No comments:

Post a Comment