Tuesday, October 22, 2013

End of Service


My new home in Lima

 My last few weeks in my dear pueblo of San Luis have been a sweet time of Good-Byes, reflection and final activities. I spent a productive week in Lima, house-sitting at the palatial home of one of the PC staff. It was a real treat having hot water, a US style fridge, which dispensed crushed ice at my command, washer/dryer and a US style supermarket around the corner. I met with other volunteers, the Ministry of Energy and Mines, the Yachaywasi renewable energy group and found a new apartment for the coming year.
My friend Julio transported the crew in his nice bus

The WASH 22 crew showing their "gang sign" of 2/2/W



On return to San Luis, my site-mate Will Jensen and I put on a day of training for the newest group of Peace Corps trainees. WASH 22 is a young group, but eager, bright and good-hearted – so full of that spirit of service that makes the Corps what it is. The minute we were done, I caught a bus to the Ica desert for a presentation the next morning, while Will led the group on a romp in Canete.
















Relaxing by the pool in El Ingenio
The “despedida” or Farewell Party for the Peru 18 PCVs in the region was held at an extraordinary hotel/conference center in the remote town of El Ingenio, which included fantastic tile work, a swimming pool, laser disco lights and huge refrigerators. We were feted with songs, tributes, special key-chains, sashes, roast/toasts and fireworks. My song (to the tune of The Edmond Fitzgerald) went like this:

The legend lives on from Peru 18 down
Of the Volunteer they call El Goyo
He’s old and he’s smart
With a young caring heart
And he does everything with much joy-o

He made biodigesters and cocinas galore
Built playgrounds , latrines and some banos
Taught handwashing, AIDS
Bottle bulbs in spades
Did wheelchairs, solar panels and more-o

He set the bar high and that is why
His town and his friends all adore-o
He’ll leave a big hole
In his tiny pueblo
But, in Lima he’ll serve even more-o

I doubt it will make the top 10, but it certainly touched my heart. The party was a raucous event, with costumes, fireworks and beer consumption, like I’ve not witnessed since college, ending well into the next day. I eschewed the alcohol and left early the next morning, leaving “GOOD-BYE” spelled out in peanuts at the bar. Sadly, no one caught my MASH reference.
Does no one remember the last -tear-jerker - episode of TV's MASH ?


Back in site, I dove back into work, helping my site-mate and fellow “older” PCV with construction of her tree nursery shade house at a local school. Like most of my efforts here, it was hard work, but some of the kids cut class to come help. We sang songs and answered a bazillion questions as we set the poles for the frame in hand-mixed concrete. Another day will be required to cover the frame with shade cloth and construct an access door.

The rest of the week will be packing, more Farewells, presentation of my final report to the Muni and enjoying the perfect spring weather, before heading to Lima for Close of Service paper-work and the Halloween haunted house at the Embassy.







No comments:

Post a Comment