Saturday, September 28, 2013

Me & My Shadow(s)


Everywhere I went, my Shadows were right there.


Glenn demonstrates hand-washing

The WASH 22 team at the health fair booth

Skulls on the Cerro de Oro

Jacob tries his hand(s) on the cajon at an Afro-dance practice

We joined Kate and her MAC Shadows for a pisco sour toast


The last few weeks have brought a flurry of activity. In addition to doing all the paperwork and reports to close my PCV service in San Luis, and arranging travel for my month of “special leave” in Florida, I’ve started working on the new adventure in Lima. Writing vision plans, arranging a house sitting gig in Lima, including meetings with RE suppliers and the Ministry of Energy & Mines and searching the Lima classified ads for housing. In many ways, the job has already begun – fielding questions and advising other Volunteers on renewable energy projects like biodigesters, eco-banos, Cocinas, solar projects and even some playground plans.

It is also a time to pass on what I’ve learned to the newest group (Peru 22) of water & sanitation trainees (not volunteers until they swear-in in November). The first group of four came to “Shadow” me for 3 days, seeing how I live and interact and getting a taste of what is in store for them. It’s a great new program – quite personal and practical. Will and I will also have the whole WASH group back for a training visit later in October.

My shadows, Glen, Jacob, Rebecca and Frank landed in Canete where we joined the environment crew for lunch, followed by a tour of my house and PowerPoint “class” time and dinner at Marriana’s roasted chicken and pisco sours. We had breakfast “on the street”, toured the Goat Farm facility, health post, Muni, playground and a cocina mejorada, lunched at a typical “menu” place and tried the smoked chicken at Pollo Cilindro. They were brilliant as they  demonstrated hand-washing at a health fair in the plaza, including balloon dogs and swords, crafted by Jacob.  We viewed the bone yard at Cerro de Oro and collected some skulls for the PC Halloween haunted house and finished with chicharrones, a cajon and dance performance by the San Luis troupe and pisco sours with some of the visiting MAC trainees. In between was wonderful time to answer many questions and share the accumulated tips from my 2 years of field experience. I think they got a good feel for the realities of Peace Corps service in Peru. They are a young group, full of energy, curiosity and good hearts. I know they’ll all do well as Volunteers, when they get to their service sites in November.

It’s also been a time to begin my Farewells to the wonderful folks of Mi Pueblo. I’ve been taking and printing photos with them, along with a personal note, as reminders of our time together over the last 2 years. Most folks don’t have any or many photos of themselves and the two I’ve given so far have been well received.

1 comment:

  1. Well, Goyo...Tu pueblo es mi pueblo...en Peru! I will miss the whole cast of characters, Angel to Odi! I support the photo thank-yous...I can imagine the significance of a photograph of oneself; it reminds me of how my grandparents & parents appreciated photos! Inspired gift! Although Odi may go more for a tasty something he could bury, for example?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete