Saturday, November 22, 2014

Last Mango in Lima


Having moved 32 times in my 63 years, I've gotten good at saying Good-Bye. Behind every Good-Bye is a new Hello, just waiting to happen. And thanks to email and Facebook and Skype, It is rarely a true Good-Bye, just Until We Meet Again. Good-Bye does not mean loss to me, but celebration of the experience that will always be a part of me.


Still, with just a few days before I end my Peace Corps service in Peru, my farewell visits in Buenos Aires and San Luis were tearful and heartfelt. The unique way that PCVs are embedded and integrated into their communities, means not only that we can be more effective, but that we experience some loss on departure.
Peace Corps service has been a great and full adventure – one of my best. The places visited, projects completed, friendships made – I hold them all dear.
In these final days in Peru, memories of people and places have come welling up, waves of gratitude and appreciation flood my heart. I give especially heartfelt THANKS to:
My host family during training, who nurtured and fed me in my Peruvian birthplace of Buenos Aires. Jaime AldereteShirley Alderete, Deri and Cristanto
My hard working community partners in San Luis. Angel Harrison Garcia ManzoGloria YayaEsther Reynaldo Reyes
The extraordinary Peace Corps medical staff for keeping me healthy and safe. Jorge , Suni Su and Carmen
The entire PC Staff for their kind support (and for tolerating a non-bureaucratic rogue in their midst).
The Tooth Fairies and Dr Michael Healey for getting my mouth up to PC specs.
All my generous friends who contributed to the creation of Childrens’ Playgrounds in San Luis.
The senders of tool and hardware laden Care Packages. Joy B. Massa,Jan PlimptonRobin Murphy , Phyllis Scott McAllister
and especially to my Dea Sistas - Robin Parker and Darcy Plimpton-Sims -I wouldn't be here without your kindness.
My Facebook Friends, for sharing great ideas and cheering my service.
All the thanks and appreciation that I've received during my time in Peru, really belongs to all of you, as well.
WE did this. I was merely the “tip of the olive branch”. That was my honor and privilege.
The people and places of Peru, WATSAN, ECPA and the Peace Corps will always be a part of my being. I do not leave them behind, but celebrate my time here, and pass the torch to the next generation of PC Peru.


So long, Peru. And thanks for all the ceviche……..

No comments:

Post a Comment