Thursday, November 29, 2018

Something Old and Something New





As my departure to my next Peace Corps assignment draws near – just 6 weeks away – I’ve started scouting the Tarapoto area online. Much will be familiar : the tropical rainforest, living at or near sea-level and proximity to the equator. My last sites have been at latitudes of -13, -11, +9 and now +6, as I inch my way ever closer to the center-line. The big difference will be that for the first time, I’ll be far away from the ocean - trading rivers, waterfalls and lakes for beaches and seafood.

As usual, I’ll be doing water and sanitation work, helping folks get access to more and better water and improving sanitation conditions wherever possible. And promoting renewable energy where I can. But, this time, I’ll be working through the Ministry of Health, rather than directly with small villages. And I’ll have the company of at least 2 other PCRVs living in the same city, which should make for a nice local ex-pat community and some inter-program synergy.


The online images of Tarapoto look spectacular. But then folks tend to post just the pretty face of an area. Be assured that I’ll be showing the complete picture of the area, warts and all.









No comments:

Post a Comment