Monday, March 5, 2012

Circus, Circus



Well, the tree planting project has had quite a response. The day after planting the first Poinciana tree out on the street side, I had four folks show up (and two the next day) wanting to know when I would plant a tree by THEIR house. Evidence of three things : 1)there is a big demand for trees in town 2) word travels FAST 3) they know where I live. Nor did folks fail to notice the presence of a Gringa (Katy) which prompted questions about who she was; my  wife, girlfriend, sister, daughter? Inquiring minds…. In any case, I am delighted at the response and being able to do something for my own neighborhood instead of out in the annexes. Other projects for my town will be the kids’ playground(s) and a computer/technology center in Town Hall. Educational plans include an HIV/STD program, tuberculosis, diabetes (healthy eating), environmental, global warming and hand-washing. Now that I think about it, I guess it’s reasonable for them to wonder why I’ve been doing so much work out in the campo and not doing anything around town, other than some handyman stuff.

The circus “circo” came to town. I wanted to take the kids, but was told it was “too dangerous”. The price of US$0.75 was right, so I went on in. Calling it a circus by US standards is a stretch. More like a musical variety show. The music was very un-Peruvian and borrowed straight from Ringling Bros., which brought to mind some childhood circuses. There were a few not-ready-for-prime-time singers and some lovely young female dancers wearing leotards so tight, they left little to the imagination. And clowns – LOTS of clowns. There was some good juggling and plate spinning, a bareback pony rider and a couple of trained dogs. But, no trapeze, elephants, tigers or even peanuts. Lots of hawkers with churros, chupete (popsicle) and soda, though – doing a brisk business. There was a recurring clown act that was slightly disturbing – one little skinny guy who acted effeminate and another big macho guy with a rubber bat. They did short skits, which I couldn’t much understand and in the end the little guy would get whacked with the bat and whimper and the crowd cheered. There was a similar act by the clowns at Crisanto’s birthday party. Is this some sort of cultural warning not to be gay? Or just fun to see some guy get whacked? Well, the juggling was real good, and those leotards on the dancers were….well, they were tight.

I am reminded that all PCV blogs, should carry the disclaimer that they are personal observations and opinions and DO NOT, in any way, represent the views of the Peace Corps or the US Government. But, you knew that, Right?

No Sunday bike tour this week. Instead, I decided on a micro-vacation to Cerro Azul, the touristy beach destination just 8km up the PanAmerican Hwy. This is pretty much peak tourist season and it showed. Lots of folks in town and colorful umbrellas all over the beach. But, surprisingly few folks actually in the water. Not big swimmers, these Peruvians. Surf was down, but I did manage a couple of decent body-rides. An enterprising young fellow had a tent set up with a bucket shower for US$0.75. His younger brother fetched pails of water from town. Lots of really creative arts & crafts and some surprisingly good paintings. I had some outstanding ceviche and Dorado (Mahi-Mahi / dolphin) fingers that were well worth the trip. They also make yucca-fries that beat the pants off French-fries – they get nice & crispy on the outside and creamy inside. The 6 hour trip felt as refreshing as a full-on vacation. I gotta get out more.

The kids went back to school this and the house has been completely quiet. No noise or interruptions makes for much higher productivity, but I do miss the little buggers. School here is MUCH different from US. Hours are 8 am to 4 pm, six days a week. Emphasis is on rote and repetition – original thinking not an option. No freehand drawing, just trace and color. Motto on the gate at the local grade school : “Responsibility, Punctuality, Discipline”. Yikes….   Homework is just busy-work – copying sentences down a page, coloring correct picture with correct color. I’m only seeing grade school homework – maybe it gets better in higher grades. With mostly absent parents, Camila, the 8 yr-old Princess/Mamita, does her own and then her brothers’. Smart as a whip, that one; incredibly responsible for her age (or any age). Her ability to control and entertain her brothers is remarkable. I gave the kids a DVD of “Puss-in-Boots” (Gato de Botas), which they have watched about a gazillion times. The other day, the power went out for a couple of hours. With no TV, I thought the kids would flip, but Camila just stood up and told her version of Gato de Botas to her young audience. Her memory of the plot was good, but her detail and invention was even better.

I happened upon a small stand on the Canete Plaza, selling yogurt produced in nearby Santa Barbara, 2 km away. It’s made from goat milk, with no additives, but fruit pulp. A sample was good, so I bought a liter for US$1.66. It was simply the very finest yogurt I have ever tasted – and locally produced !! This is a new business that deserves support. I’m pretty sure that some of the goat milk even came from Usevio’s (bio-digester guy) goats. I need to visit the plant. Soon.

Coming back from Canete, I started chatting with a nice lady about what I’m doing here. She invited me to dinner “as a Thank You” for helping out here in Peru, which I thought was really nice. My current mantra being “Never decline an Invite”, I accepted. Arrived at the appointed hour, with a Panetone and flowers (mistake) at one of nicer houses in town – rather modern looking with tile on the front (most have painted stucco). I chatted with her and her hubby for a while and everything was going fine, until her two daughters (I’m guessing 16/17ish) came in dressed in totally slinky dresses, with necklines there were, well, ah..revealing. The rest of the night was “Daughters on Display”. Aren’t they pretty? (they were). Don’t they cook well? (they did). They made their own dresses. And they showed how they could count to 20 in English. And they did a swell Disco sort of dance. And sang. And I had to join them. Oh, and they both LOVE children. I lost count of how many times Mama asked if I was really single. The girls were very sweet about it and didn’t say much, nor did Dad and I did my best to change the subject as often as possible. I made the further blunder of singing the first verse (which is all I know in Spanish) of “el Condor Pasa”, which Mama insisted I repeat MANY times. Those were three of the most uncomfortable and awkward hours in memorable history. Maybe I need to rethink that Mantra….


Another wonderful trip to PCHQ in Lima. The Staff all make us Volunteers feel “at home” there. And well cared for. And other Vols are around for various reasons. My friend Christine from Health was tHere, as she is changing sites. Sometimes (rarely) a site just doesn’t work out and PC finds another one. Gotta be hard to shift gears like that in the middle of service, though. The trip included a visit with a lovely physical therapist, who gave me some good rehab exercises for my shoulder. I have “rotator cuff tendinitis and  possible torn superior labrum”, whatever that means. What it means to me is limited range of motion and occasional pain when I reach overhead or behind my back. The good news is no surgery or cortisone (for now). Just some NSAIDs , cold packs and exercises. Also visited another “fast food” place called “Bembo’s”, a McKnock-off.  A very respectable salad and pretty good onion rings and drink were had for about US$6.30, which is pretty steep for Peru.

At long last, I got a meeting with the NGO Caritas, who built a sweet water system for Vista Alegre (Happy View)


No comments:

Post a Comment