Friday, March 9, 2012

Cocinas Workshop - Student turned Teacher


Papa Goyo shows them how it's done
Teaching the art of "losa" casting





And everybody gets dirty
The week started with another trip to Lima for an MRI on my shoulder. Stopped by the Embassy to have a limonada with my friend there. Then proceeded to the MRI facility, which is located in San Isidro, one of the upper class enclaves of Lima. They were running behind, so I went down the broad, tree lined avenue to the ovalado, where I found a choice of Chili’s, McDonalds, Burger King or TGIFridays for dinner. I did what I said I’d never do and ate at a Peruvian McDonalds. Nicer than any Mickey D in the US, it was a two story glass and brass affair. The food was exactly the same, though, albeit a bit pricey. A QuarterPounder w/ cheese combo was US$5.55. All the patrons were very well dressed with European features. The elite of Peru look nothing like the folks in the rest of the country. There was a special line for couriers. 5 or 6 uniformed moto-couriers in line at a time to fetch a tasty McSomething for the privileged. The extensive condiment bar featured 4 kinds of aji and even sweet pickle relish, a rare treat indeed. I’ve only been able to find it in one large store in Lima.

On the way back to the MRI place, I saw the “car guardian” process that I’d heard about. There are no parking meters on the streets. But, there are men who “control” a block or so of the street. For a fee, they hold spots for regular customers, stop traffic so clients can get in and out of spots and even wash windshields or whole cars. Of course, their primary job is to watch the cars and ensure security. Whenever they have an available spot, they stand well into traffic, loudly announcing the vacancy with shouts and wild arm motions.

Over an hour inside the banging and whining belly of the MRI beast was not my idea of a good time. But hopefully, it will reveal what’s up with my sore shoulder that just doesn’t want to get better. Again, a VERY upscale clientele. My greetings in Spanish were answered with perfect English in a couple of cases. A polite way of letting me know that their English was a whole lot better than my Spanish. I had an interesting conversation about the GOP Presidential candidates. This lady knew her stuff and amazing that the process in a foreign country would be of such interest.

The sun was directly overhead at noon on Tuesday. I made a special effort to be outside (and NOT working on my Diagnostic) at that special time. Indeed, I cast virtually no shadow at all, and it was neatly packed around my feet. In contrast to my distain for astrological functions, I’ve always been attracted to astronomical functions. As I now live well within the Tropic of Capricorn, that range of latitudes where the sun is directly overhead at some point in the year. In fact, it is overhead twice during the period between the fall and spring equinoxes, reaching its most southern point on the winter solstice. At the latitude of San Luis, these two days are October 28 and February 14. I also follow the meteor showers that occur during the year, but don’t EVEN start with me about what planet is squaring what cusp or sign….just sayin’.

More time spent translating my Diagnostic, went by ever-so-slowly. I’m not sure I really get why we translate the things and then present them to the community. It seems a little presumptuous to tell the community about themselves. I DO see the value for identification of possible service projects, but simply presenting those projects to the community would seem to suffice. But, the Corps makes a big deal over the Diagnostic, including presentation (in Spanish) to other PCVs (who all speak English). Seems more like some fraternity initiation to me. Kinda like when I had to learn Morse Code at 20 wpm to get my General Radio Operator license and then never used Code again.

I made several bike trips (yes, I still LOVE my bike) to get everything ready for the Workshop. And, finally came Friday and my big Cook Stove/Biodigester/Eco-Bano Workshop. I had 17 other Volunteers from Ica, Lima and Huancavelica signed up. 3 advance cancellations, including poor Alli, who passed out hiking to an annex at altitude, fell down and gashed her forehead, hiked 4 hours to get stitches, which were so badly done that she had to go to a surgeon in Lima and get them pulled out and re-done. The Vols who serve in the mountains have a much harder service environment than I enjoy, including washed out roads from the recent torrential seasonal rains. But, I digress.
Friday morning, only one other Vol missed his alarm (but thoughtfully called to cancel), so I wound up with a class of 12. Our kindly RC (PC speak for Regional Coordinator) Miguel Angel shuttled us out to Don Oscar and I have to admit it’s even more comfortable in an SUV than bike. We cast a concrete Cocinas top and then built an entire Cocina (that’s the “improved cook stove”) before lunch. The family was really excited and provided us with the absolute finest materials, all carefully sifted, which made construction a breeze. Everyone participated and came away with satisfying quantities of mud under their nails. Usevio, the biodigester farmer, and his family fed us a wonderful lunch (some of which was cooked over a bio-gas flame) of Sopa Seca, sort of ultra rich spaghetti, with chicken and potatoes with delicious Huancaina sauce. This was topped of with Chupetes – a popsicle of fresh fruit juice – mango, passionfruit and strawberry. After lunch, we toured the biodigester and eco-banos. A good and educational day for all, I hope.

Since a couple of the attendees were Peruvian, the Workshop switched back and forth between English and Spanish frequently. I’ve been surprised (and delighted) at how easily this has gotten for me. Usually, my brain gets locked into Spanish, except when I’m among Volunteers, when it locks back to English. The rapid switching is a strange experience. Sometimes, I find myself speaking Spanish, when I mean to speak English and vice-versa. I also applaud the PC courtesy/protocol of (generally) not speaking English when with a Peruvian. I think the locals appreciate it, too.

Everybody gets involed
That night, the Canete Plaza was full of Peace Corps, Pisco and Gringos. It was a wonderful treat to have so many Volunteers and even some staff in “my” town. A large group of Gringos in a relatively small, non-touristy town always garners scrutiny and stares – and reinforces the importance of our every move. Had dinner with Miguel Angel and our beloved Dr Jorge at the Pollo Cilindro, with some other Vols. “Cilindro” is a smoked chicken and, to me, a cut above the standard “a la Brasa” (roasted) chicken, which is pretty good to start with. There is an amazing sense of community and Brotherhood within the Corps – a bright, adventurous, caring and giving group. I’m glad and proud to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment