Friday, March 16, 2012

Rolling Along


Oswaldo, my bike repair guy, can fix anything -

I got some kind notes of thanks for my Workshop last week. Since there is no way we all could have gotten complete training in every area, this inter-program, peer-to-peer training is essential. I’ve also been impressed with the total cooperation between Volunteers. If I don’t know something, there’s a good chance that one of my compatriots does, and will be quick to share. It is comforting to know that 185 other Volunteers and 35 staff got my back. Not to mention my network of wonderful friends and family back in the States.

The second “cocina mejorada” improved cook stove that we started got finished with only two little kids as my helpers. Kids here learn to work hard at an early age and they fetched water and adobes with gusto. And they absolutely got into slapping adobe mud on the cracks. There were giggles and smiles all around. They certainly made my day go a lot faster than otherwise. I had to explain what EVERY tool was for and demonstrate. One kid question that is Universal is : WHY? I answered that question a million times with my boys when they were young and at least 50 times in one day with these kids. The other observation was that my shoulders never hurt when I’m working, though I know I’ll pay the next morning. 

Speaking of pain, my MRI’s were reviewed by the Med Staff here, who say “ Around the Glenoid Cavity is the labrum which is the border of the glenoid cavity and is made of soft tissue.  In your case,  it seems that the labrum is torn in the upper part close to the insertion of the tendon of the biceps muscle:”. Like I understand any of that. Anyway, the MRI’s are now in the hands of the PC-OMS in DC, who are the deciders of treatment. Dr Jorge gave me a 50-50 chance of surgery, which doesn’t please me. Vamos a ver.
I made the mistake of loaning my beloved bike to Victor, who is about as responsible as his young kids. It came back with a flat tire. Fortunately, there is a superb bike shop “taller” in town, with a whiz-bang bike master. He quickly found the small nail, patched the tube and double tested. His bill : US$0.55. He got a nice tip. The low labor cost here is sometimes shocking. A fine haircut for US$0.75, a good mason for US$2.10/hr, a beautifully decorated cake for US$1.65 (plus 3.00 for) ingredients, a field hand/laborer for US$0.93/hr – no wonder the average income is so low.

In any case, the whole issue of loaning tools and stuff is really thorny for me. On the one hand, I’ve got tons of good tools and a computer, etc. that are pretty rare around here. And word spreads fast about the well- equipped Gringo. I want to share, but Peruvians simply do NOT understand about care and maintenance and cleaning. So, in future, I’m laying down the law : no more loans of any kind. I’ll go help out, when I can, but I’ve got to preserve and nurture my small assets here. On top of that, Victor was fired from the SECOND job in 3 months. He was always running out of the house 15-30 minutes after he was supposed to be at work. Anyway, this means wanting to use my computer and WiFi and printer to look for work. I find it more annoying than interruptions from the kids.

His wife isn’t scoring any points either. She and Papa Fernando had another late-night shouting match – the usual - berating her for dirty house, clothes and no food. So, she started staying home in the morning – to watch TV. This only deprived the kids of their favorite play area and forced them into my room. When I turned them out, they went and spilled some water on the kitchen floor, which got them spanked (but did force Margarita to clean the kitchen floor), which led them back to Senor Goyo for comfort. Thankfully, I had to ride out to finish a Cocina just then. I have to remember that they are both only 25 , same age as most of the Volunteers, though far less responsible. But, with 3 children.

My “Boss”, Jorge paid me a visit this week. He visits all new Volunteers to see how they’re doing. I presented him with my completed Diagnostic (not due until Feb 29), my new Cocinas Construction manual, my new Biodigester Guide and docs for my tree planting project, which gave him a good smile. We paid a visit to the Alcaldesa Delia, who immediately gave me the go-ahead to start the tree planting project, since it was her idea in the first place, but again, Jorge was impressed with her cooperation. Our plan to visit the biodigester was voided when he had to deal with a Watsan Volunteer who has decided to leave early. Jorge is FIERCELY proud that Watsan has a lower ET, “early termination” than other programs, so he seemed to take this personally.

That aside, I was delighted to get the green light for tree planting. First step will be a demo planting just outside my house. I’ve brought in a good supply of eco-bano compost, liquid fertilizer from the biodigester and some “guano de campo” or top soil from a cow pen. And purchased some bamboo and green shade cloth (maya Rachel). My friend and fellow PCV Katy Sater is coming down from Asia next week. She’s in the Environment program and will be writing the scripts for the educational charlas we present to the kids. Summer vacation is just about over – classes start on March 5th. Much as I love my 3 little kids here, I will be grateful to not have them afoot ALL DAY LONG. Just one more week………I am looking forward to working with the slightly older (9-11) kids. I already know some of them. And they know Senor Goyo, although one kid insists on calling me Senor Paz, which I don’t mind either.

Elsewhere in the Muni, things are not so good. My good friend Jimmy was fired as Gerente (town manager) and replaced with Juan Carlos, who doesn’t seem near as friendly (but who WILL succumb to “Goyo” charm). I spent so much time exploring my projects with Jimmy, it felt like the proverbial rug getting pulled. I’m told this happens all the time here. It is especially bad when a new Mayor comes into power. Everyone from secretaries to janitors to gardeners gets fired, so that friends of the incoming leaders can be favored. This is said to avoid problems with corruption, but I don’t get it.

In the “teaching old dog new tricks Dept”, I made my first PowerPoint presentation. Nothing really jazzy (no twirling letters or spinning photos), just a straight-forward slide show with captions. It’s about some of the upgrades I made to my room, at the behest of my “boss”, who thought they were clever. I’ll attach a copy to the email, though it is meant to be viewed with commentary. I always enjoy learning new stuff – the program is very intuitive and “user friendly”. During training, there was a PowerPoint for EVERY presentation (except mine). They seem to be over-used and over-rated. For a presenter to stand with back to audience and read from the screen seems pointless, distracting and disconnecting from the listeners. I like eye contact and engaging an audience. I suppose it relieves presentation stage-fright for some – but at what cost?

With my Diagnostic complete, I’m back to the field work that I love. Another Cocina completed – this one in a home with a 5’6” ceiling, which was Hell on my old bones. Fortunately, I had the assistance of an experienced mason, who did a lot of the drudge work, (and did it better than I do) leaving me to just do the more technical and difficult parts. When I cut the hole in the ceiling for the chimney, I got showered with the ash that had built up from years of cooking over an indoor open fire. I hate to imagine what their lungs look like. We fired this one up the next day, to many oows and aahs. Again, not being able to see the open flame and having to use smaller fuel materials, is a big change that needs support and reassurance. These folks generally use big yucca roots, which just won’t fit whole into the new (more efficient) fire box. So we are left to use the yucca stalk or corn stalk (which burns way too fast) or split the roots. I got a nice big bag of figs from their trees, which were extra tasty.

My Socio (community partner) at the Health Center, Gloria Yaya, has agreed to go with me to an HIV conference in Ica in April. This 3 day program will be enlightening for me (hopefully for her, as well) and will qualify us to get funding for health related educational programs here in San Luis. We plan to teach more than just HIV prevention and will include STD, teen pregnancy, contraception, gender issues, etc. Peace Corps Volunteers here have created an outstanding and comprehensive program called “Pasos Adelante”, which we plan to use. STDs, HIV and teen pregnancy is a huge problem around here. That needs to change.

I’m also enjoying my new contact with the Princeton Engineers Without Borders. Kudos (and Locomotives by the score) to this dedicated group of undergraduates, who are designing and building a new gravity water system in northern Peru. I’ve been able to share resources and connect them with many of my Peruvian expert contacts. Add to this, the group of future Princetonians in the Peru Bridge Program and I’m proud as punch of those bright young people who represent “Princeton in the World’s Service”.

Wow. I just realized that my weekly blogs in Peru will total 110, which means I’m 20% through my service, which seems like it’s just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment