Friday, October 26, 2012

Training the Newbies



This marks the midpoint of my Peace Corps service. In some ways, it seems like I just got here, until I reflect on all the amazing activities, adventures, sights, sounds and smells that I’ve experienced here. They say you get what you put in to any endeavor. But, this is one gig where you get about 150% of what you put in.

The bag was just unpacked from the jungle adventure, when I jumped right back in to the groove I call life in San Luis. 14 new Water & Sanitation Volunteers were headed my way to be trained and fed. It is a smaller group than my training group – Peace Corps has had its budget cut. (don’t even get me started on how our nation can cut the budget for Peace and Friendship, while spending ever more on wars and killing) They are generally older and more serious than my group – no prima-dona dilatants here – and several are married.

We visited my house and saw a “typical” PCV site room – though no such thing exists. I showed off several of my improvements, including the newly invented “Soapy Tap” soap dispenser. Then we went out to La Quebrada – scene of the recent  Cat Festival, where JASS president Luis proudly showcased the all-new well house, pump, chlorine gas injection system and back-up generator. After that, we drove out to the Cerro de Oro burial ground, which elicited all the usual “Oh my God”s and “Wow, look at this”s. They ran all over the hill and up to the ruins. Getting them down off the Cerro was like herding cats.

Final stop was the goat farm, where the family welcomed us warmly. I explained the bottle bulb, biodigester, and solar pumping / lighting system and they got to see a Cocina Mejorada (improved cook stove) in action, as well as Biol fertilizer being sprayed on the crops that will feed the goats. Mama Anita and Chanel cooked us a wonderful lunch of sopa seca, carapulca and papas con huancaina. Most of it was cooked over a Bio-gas flame or on the Cocina. And there were samples of the goat cheese and yogurt all around. Everyone got a walk on the beach to boot. I figure they all slept well on the bus ride back home.

I was honored this week to have a photo of me and a goat used as a PC ad on Facebook, my design for the Soapy Tap featured on the PC FB page for Global Hand-Washing Day and two articles published in the PC Peru newsletter.

It was a tough week for utilities. The new water line is in and all new house connections are being made, which caused the water to be off for over 48 hours. Because of our normally US style water service, with chlorine and kick-ass pressure, we don’t have a roof storage tank, so common in rural areas. I’m a bit of a shower freak – gotta have that water on my body or I just don’t feel right. So, I resorted to the old “IronMan” shower – 500 ml can actually give a nice refreshing rinse. And shaving can be done with less than a cup, when no shaving crème is involved.

And then, the new power lines had power on & off for several days. I really can’t complain – so many other Volunteers deal with power and water outages on a regular basis – many have no indoor plumbing. So, America…..enjoy those amazing services that we take for granted. At least my little town has new infrastructure to carry it forward.

Speaking of Mi Pueblo, the drumming (cajon) and dance troupe performed at an event in Lima this week. This is a really big deal – Lima is bigger than NYC in the minds of the kids here. So, to be invited was a HUGE morale boost. I didn’t go, but heard they were better than ever. Their shy and unsure personas have given way to big smiles and enthusiasm, as they realize how very good they are. And there is now a new facility, right near the Muni on the Plaza, where they can practice and perform. This looks to be the start of a wonderful new tradition in San Luis, as more kids want to join the prestigious performance troupe.

A long bike ride, to check on some of my latest projects, was heartening. Every site and project is running fine. Folks are enjoying the better stoves, Bio-gas and fertilizer, better bathrooms and the clean water right at their door. I met one of the wheelchair recipients (still can’t understand her name) in the Plaza. My heart jumped when I saw the bright red metal tubes and her big smile. Really excited and heart-warming to see how such a simple piece of equipment changes lives so dramatically.  She held my hand and cried as she said Gracias about a hundred times. I teared up pretty good, too. Thanks again to Princeton Class of ’77. You folks done good. To be the one who receives all these expressions of gratitude is a gift beyond words. My heart is swollen and my energy renewed every time it happens. The little gifts of fruit, the cookies and pies, the dinners, the kind smiles and greetings of “Ingeniero” or “Goyo”…are so precious. And will carry with me always. I am a very lucky, grateful man.

No comments:

Post a Comment