Friday, November 23, 2012

Giving Thanks


Steel tubing arrives at welder Vidal's yard
Vidal cuts and welds a swing set


Some of the playground parts are ready

The see-saw is taking shape

A busy week – keeping my projects moving ahead, distancing myself from a pleasant, but personally disappointing vacation, training the new group of Volunteers and being trained to serve as a PCV Warden.

The Playgrounds project is moving along, albeit slowly. Vidal, our welder has been moving his entire household and workshop to a new property next door to his old one. The move is now complete and he has 3-phase power, which will boost his welding capabilities. Most of the metal tube has been cut and the design is looking good. All the used tires are in place and Angel got two rolls of used fire hose from our friends at the Bomberos (fire-house), which we’ll be using to construct swings.

My wonderful partners in the HIV/STD prevention programs have been keeping everything on track in my absence. I’m actually delighted that they only need me for logistics. This is not exactly my forte, especially teaching a very sensitive subject in Spanish. The great part is that they have access to a vast array of PC materials and teaching practices. The dynamic program, full of movement and interactive learning is a positive change from “teaching-as-usual”. Gloria and Esther have embraced this full on.

The school exchange program, between kids at my Colegio Mixto and a classroom in Commerce City, CO, delayed by the Peru Teachers Strike, is now moving forward with question/answer exchanges – thanks to Beth Ramey, my dedicated counter-part in the States. I attach the first exchange, as the exchange was pretty interesting.

I travelled east of Lima – out the Rimac River Valley – to Santa Eulalia to train the new Peru 20 group of PCVs. Due to a security issue, they were holed up in the same retreat facility that I enjoyed for my first two days in Peru, over a year ago. I presented my new Soapy Tap (liquid soap dispenser), the “Bottle Bulb” technology, simple room upgrades, personal advice, and did a bike use and maintenance training for the group. I was struck by how different this group is from my training group. These folks seemed much more mature and serious compared to Peru 18, boding well for PC Peru service. Their questions and comments were thoughtful and gratifying. The group was sworn-in yesterday at the US Ambassador’s residence in Lima.

The next day was back to the PC Center in Lima for Warden training. The PCV Wardens are the front line in the event of emergency. I will be responsible for the safety and coordination of the 7 other PCVs in the province of Lima. Peace Corps has the priority of keeping PCVs safe, and the advance planning and organization is extensive and should serve well in the event of an actual emergency. I was proud to be selected to serve in this capacity.

Thanksgiving was celebrated in Lima and started with a dental appointment. PC medical staff and service are extraordinary. We are served quickly and well – never waiting for appointments – with 100% coverage. Jen White, the new Assistant Peru Director and her husband Kevin, generously opened their beautiful home to over 20 PCVs. It was wonderful to celebrate my favorite holiday – the Giving of Thanks – in such a warm and loving place, with other Americans. The food was way over the top – every possible Thanksgiving food and treat imaginable was represented. I was given the honor of carving the 27 pound turkey, which was cooked to perfection. An amazing selection of American beer and wine added to the CHEER. My only regret was not reciting Alice’s Restaurant – it was my first skip in many years. Many of the youngsters had never heard of it and I needed to catch a late bus home to my beloved pueblo.

Two busy days of meetings, laundry, email catch-up and Prairie Home and I’m back on the road to Lima. This week, I’ll be getting Mid-Service medical and dental exams with my dear WATSAN training group and doing some further training.

No comments:

Post a Comment