Friday, December 14, 2012

Passages


Dear Cristina, who sold me peanuts every day, is gone


The shrine to "Popi" - his ever present planters hat and boots
It’s been a week of passages, with a Farewell Party for Dan and Carrie, married PCVs who live(ed) in the Canete area. They were a big part of my request to be posted here in Canete and I was not wrong. They have been a huge technical and personal resource for me this last year. And dear friends. Two of America’s best and brightest, who cared enough about this World to give two years of their young lives to help improve life for the residents of Nuevo Imperial. The sadness of their departure was tempered by welcoming two new Volunteers – Ingrid and Kate – both environmental PCVs. And so diverse. Kate is right out of college, while Ingrid has eclipsed me as the oldest PCV in Peru. The constant parade of Hellos and Good-Byes is reminiscent of my time at Esalen, where I learned that behind every Good-Bye, is a Hello, just waiting to happen.

Another, more final, Good-Bye to my dear (Mamita) Christina, who died rather suddenly this week. (photo attached) She sat on the corner every afternoon, selling peanuts, popcorn and roasted fava beans. Her welcoming smile and warm eyes was a daily lift to my spirit. My life is richer for having known this sweet, kind woman.

Mi “Popi”, father and patriarch at the goat farm, suffered a stroke this week, while out tending the goats. He is 87 and still doing manual chores around the farm. Visiting him in hospital was difficult. As I looked into his eyes, I saw a painful plea for freedom from his spirit – normally so vibrant, now laid low and half paralyzed. I remember the same look from my Mom, days before she died of cancer. And that same helpless feeling inside – not able to help.

And so, it’s back to “work”. My brilliant community partners kept everything rolling along during my 3 weeks absence for vacation, teaching, training and Mid-Service med checks. Vidal, our trusty and innovative welder has been sawing and welding the jungle gym and swing. Next are the teeter-totter and then slide ladder. He’s been slowed somewhat by his move to a new house and shop. Gloria and Esther have been moving along well with the HIV program. The kids did some awesome street art for World AIDS Day – photos to follow. The biodigester technology is really catching on. Will plans to build one with a cuy (guinea pig) farmer at his site. Yes, we eat them here, though I can’t say I’m a big fan. At the goat farm, Avelino was proud as punch to show-off his digester and explain all the details. His level of enthusiasm and knowledge will ensure the sustainability of this technology long after I’m gone.

On that note, Dan & Carrie’s departure brought to mind my own service “mortality” – a reminder that I have less than a year left – in reality only about 10 months. There is still a lot to do here – another water system has asked for my help with cleaning, sanitation and chlorination, more students and adults to train in the various technologies and promoting the “pico” solar systems. As with Death itself, I am grateful for that small voice that whispers in my ear “Carpe Diem…Carpe Omnis Diem”.

Lab work results showed my human suit is functioning well within design specs, free of any parasites and viruses. A return trip to Lima was needed to remove stitches form my dental work (yes, the cavity was THAT big). Dental issues well resolved. Feeling fit and frisky. Very much so.

One of the new Volunteers got mugged in nearby Imperial, on a busy street in broad daylight. A guy showed a knife and then pushed her to the ground, running off with her bag. He got little money and a cell phone and bank card that are now unusable. Imperial is the only creepy city in our area. Such a crime is unheard of and unthinkable in my little town or any of the rural villages. Another reason I don’t care for cities. She was shook up, but rebounding like a trooper. And she had very cleverly stashed a cash reserve at her house. It’s especially sad when we who have come to help are robbed or attacked. Of course, they don’t know that. We look like any other (rich) Gringo – a nice fat, easy target. And, she is getting full support and comfort from all of us in the Canete area.

Her home site is a perfectly safe little town, just outside of nasty Imperial. The huge plaza made me envious of the luxury of open space, which San Luis lacks. They’ve got a great playground for the kids and even a superb skate-board ramp system.

No comments:

Post a Comment